Just in time for the 4th of July, the (once-suspected to be ill-fated) MacBook was delivered on Monday. The good news is that they didn’t end up formatting the hard drive—as is frequently done during repair—so I didn’t have to spend two days getting everything put back together again. Various case pieces are at least better fit together than they were, but there is still a bit of gaposis. No way in hell I’m sending it in again, though.
So now it’s full steam ahead with unlimited productiv—hey, widgets!
What’s a fair per-day rental rate for a MacBook? ‘Cause I’m thinking about drafting an invoice.
As of today, June 30:
That looks awfully familiar.
Update: Hey, hey, hey:
Apparently, the pending part of return pending is more fluid than I imagined it would be. MacBook Repair Return Watch as of today, June 23, unchanged from Tuesday, June 20:
A quick update on the MacBook repair front, because I know you’re all sympathetic to my plight. After being misrouted by DHL, the package was a bit delayed getting to the repair facility, and I talked to AppleCare this morning, since I’ve been staring at the unchanging status message for a week:
It turns out that they’re really repairing it. They’ve replaced most of the external case in order to fix the warp, and are waiting on some parts to finish up. On one hand, it strikes me as good practice to repair, rather than replace, the unit, even if it involves fairly dramatic re-building of the MacBook’s body (“we have the technology…”). It suggests that somebody is actually looking at the work that is being done, and I like the idea of Apple Certified Craftsmen running their fingers along the case seams. (To be fair, there are plenty of things that I like—gnomes, for instance—whose actual existence I’m not prepared to assert.) And it makes it more likely I’ll get back the same quiet and not-too-hot machine that I started with. On the other hand I’m a bit cranky because they won’t have the final couple of parts (at the master Apple repair facility, they have to wait for parts?) for “another few business days.”
So on balance I think the good outweighs the bad, but I’m still more-than-ready to get back to work on that fun little machine.
June 20 update. A change in status.
Now I just hope to get the shipment before evacuation.