My name is Alan, and this is my website (The Chicago Manual of Style having only recently freed me from the formal “Web site”). It is indeed a blog, but I request that you not hold this against me. This started out as what the hipsters would come to call a scholar-blog, but having finished my PhD and finding a different and unexpected New Thing to Do, it has turned into something else altogether. I talk about taking pictures, living in the high desert, and bits and pieces of everyday errata. I work in IT, but I don’t talk about that work here.
Favorite content (circa old-school)
It might be giving myself too much credit to call these posts “highlights,” so instead I’ll say about them that these are a handful of posts that I enjoyed writing, that generated some good discussion, that are interesting to me in one way or another. (This is a slight revisiting of my three-year bloggy retrospective, from back in the day, and both lists are now quite out of date.)
Not entirely frivolous (academic-stylings from back-when)
- DIY DOA and Working at Leisure discuss work and commodification.
- Starting Assumptions and End-of-Life Decisions were both generated in the course of teaching medical soc.
- Protest and Protest and Protestors are both about making sense of (surprise) protest in the United States.
- Back of Beyond about a project I’d like to dust off and revisit
- Riding in Cars with Ecologists and Aspen Fire Update are both mightily informed by a razor-sharp ecologist that I spend a lot of time with.
- Friday Cat Blogging marked the internet debut (and so far only appearance) of Frijole Negro.
- Cooler repair, parts 1, 2, and 3
- At various times I have been excited, bemused and dismayed about various technologies.
Web hosting is by Pair Networks.